chilean flag

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome tipe III

(Joint Hypermobility Syndrome)  

Professor Jaime F. Bravo , MD






Rheumatic diseases can be inflammatory or non-inflammatory and can affect joints, muscles, tendons, bursae, blood vessels and bones. In addition, some conditions may compromise some vital organs such as heart, lung, liver, kidney, etc.. Thus, some may be serious and other serious. It is therefore necessary to know and follow signs to the specialist (rheumatologist).

Among non-inflammatory diseases, the most common is osteoarthritis. Among the highlights inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthropathy, Sjogren’s disease, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), gout, pseudogout (chondrocalcinosis), polymyalgia rheumatica and other collagen diseases. Among the non-articular rheumatism (soft tissue) have the bursitis, tendonitis, fibromyalgia, etc.. In recent times, I could detect the increase Articular Hypermobility Syndrome, or SHA, one of the most common causes of pain in rheumatic patients, and it is rarely diagnosed.

The SHA is often associated with the Dysautonomia (Chronic Fatigue) and symptoms resulting from the involvement of other organs due to the weakness of the tissues.

Osteoporosis is the loss of bone density which may lead to fractures. In the following pages you can find information about these diseases, as well as their treatments

Who is a rheumatologist?

A rheumatologist is a physician who besides being a specialist in Internal Medicine, has conducted a two-year special training in Rheumatology. His experience includes the diagnosis and treatment of arthritis, osteoarthritis and other diseases of the muscle - skeletal. These specialists also treat spinal problems and osteoporosis.

Versión en español

Click Aquí